I don’t really want to admit that August is nearly over, which kinda means summer is almost over. Thankfully, I have one last long weekend next week to enjoy the sunshine before starting my new job (!!).
I’ve been taking advantage of the warm, sunny summer weather by spending a lot of time outdoors hiking, waterskiing, yoga-ing, and just being. Summer makes me appreciate the beauty of nature because there’s always somewhere new to explore, or the chance to just take in the wonder of where you already live.
Hiking is my favorite way to explore nature in the summer and fall. Just yesterday, I saw spectacular White Mountain views, a moss-covered wonderland, and a hiking-in-style Appalachian trail hut on a hike up Mt. Pierce with my parents and a good friend. Hiking all the 4000-foot peaks in New England has now been added to my bucket list (5 of 67 done)
Photos of August
1.) Hiking up Mt. Pierce in the White Mountains.
2.) Buy Flavor. Buy Local.
3.) Headstand fun.
4.) Hike up Mt. Hunger.
5.) Green garden.
6.) My little yoga pup.
Catch Up on August Posts
- What Should I Eat on a Plant-Based Diet?
- Eat Local Challenge: September 8-14 [+ a prize!]
- What a Dietitian Thinks about Artificial Sweeteners
- Fruit Kabobs + 10 After-School Snacks
What I’m Reading
- Environmental Working Group (EWG)’s Guide to Healthy Cleaning Products & Skin-Deep Cosmetics Database. Don’t mean to scare you, but take a look at what type of chemicals are in your shampoo, make-up, and cleaning products around your house. If you’re as shocked as I was, you can make your own DIY-Cleaners with a few simple, cheap ingredients (vinegar, baking soda, liquid soap, lemons). Here are 25 safer cosmetic brands.
- How Labeling Your Diet Can Make You Unhealthy. Important reminder to eat for YOUR health and body. Just throwing a “vegan” or “gluten-free” label on your diet can lead to dietary restrictions that isn’t always healthy.
- 10 Simple Things That Will Make You Happier (& backed by science). Try one today – exercise, sleep more, meditate…
- Gut Feelings: the future of psychiatry may be inside your stomach. Your gut bacteria is so important!
- Yoga: Where to Start. Lots of great yoga resources to get started or continue your yoga journey.
- Intuitive Eating. Re-reading this book, and it’s even better the second time around. Must-read for everyone, especially if you have a negative relationship with food.
- Straight from the Source: the Life of an Organic Vegetable. Hilarious commentary by an organic vegetable.
- Plastics (phthalates and BPA) may increase kids’ risk for obesity & diabetes
- Pregnant & Obese: Early Deaths Noted Among Offspring. Weight control before pregnancy is important for a healthy pregnancy and baby.
- The Plight of the Honeybee. “Mass deaths in bee colonies may mean disaster for farmers–and your favorite foods.”
What I’m Eating
- Magical Blueberry Chia Jam. I’m heading out for the last day of pick-your-own berries to make a few jars of this jam.
- Sweet Potato Lentil Coconut Curry. This version is tasty, as well as a very similar version with cod instead of lentils.
- Stuffed Summer Squash.
- Carrot + Cabbage Sauerkraut. Just made this the other day, so we’ll see in 2-3 weeks how it turns out.
- Mango Salsa. Just go ahead and put this on everything you eat.
- Roasted Kabocha Squash. Mixed feelings about this. My favorite squash BUT it means fall is coming. Love it roasted in coconut oil with a little cinnamon and ginger sprinkled on top.